- Pause. Catch your breath and speak calmly - do not yell. God could have been very harsh with us, but He wasn't, and isn't. We need to remember this when dealing with our grandchildren - and with anyone.
- Communicate. Sit down and put your grandchild in your lap, so you are able to see each other, eye to eye. Share with your grandchild what they did and why it was the wrong thing to do. God is the Perfect Communicator . . . He sent Jesus, so He would communicate with us!
- Forgive. Explain your choice to forgive is because of God's choice to forgive you. Use the opportunity to point your grandchildren to God's amazing grace and forgiveness.
- Encourage . . . your grandchild to respond. Help them learn to discern the appropriate response to their actions . . . do they need to ask for forgiveness? Do they need to make some type of restitution? What is the appropriate response?
- Pray. Pray with and for your grandchild. Give them the opportunity to pray as well if they would like to do so. Share how God ALWAYS listens to our prayers.
- Move on. Do not hold anything against your grandchild. God does not hold anything against us when we ask for forgiveness. He gives us a clean slate. Do the same with your grandchild and start with a clean slate!
Thursday, June 28, 2018
Show Real Love - Forgive
What is love, really? It is more than a "feeling", it is an "action". "God so loved the world that He gave"! (John 3:16) This is what love is, really. It is grace in action. God loved us enough to give us grace . . . He forgave us! He is our Example. We need to remember grace when our grandchildren do something wrong - as all children, no matter how sweet and adorable and wonderful they are - will do. So what does this look like? Well . . .
Welcome to "Grandmas with Heart"! We (Linda Ranson Jacobs, Debbie Guinn, Joani Schultz, Sherry Schumann, Nohemi Murray, Cathy Ja...
Recently during my grandsons' weekly sleepover I made cookies. My youngest grandson "sneaked" a fresh baked cookie and said;...
A few days ago I shared the link where you will find Deeper In 4 Grandparents & Parents, Too! Praying the Scriptures for the Children Yo...
Linda Ransom Jacobs is one of our "Grandmas with Heart". You may know her from DC4K - Divorce Care 4 Kids. This morning she sent m...