Disobedience was at the core of what happened back in the Garden of Eden with both Adam and Eve. Obeying what God said was not as important to them as was doing what they wanted. Maybe they thought there really was no reason for them to obey - they were able to eat from all the other trees, so why should it be a "big deal" for them to eat from just one tree? Whatever the reason, Adam and Eve disobeyed and their disobedience really was a "big deal" to God.
Adam and Eve experienced how disobedience brought consequences and missed out on the blessings which came from obedience; because they made the choice to not obey what God clearly told them. When we, and our grandchildren, make the choice to disobey, we also miss on on the blessings which come from obedience and instead end up experiencing the consequences which come with disobedience.
Throughout the Bible, time and even our own lives, we are able to see how this rings true. Disobedience brings consequences and obedience brings blessing. While there are certainly many things we need to model and teach to our grandchildren, obedience to God is one of the most important. And yes, we must model obedience if we are ever going to teach obedience.
Make time to talk with your grandchildren about how and why obedience matters to God; why it is a "big deal". Share with them how you experienced consequences from disobeying and about the blessings you experienced when you made the wise choice to obey. Tell them what God's Word tells us about obedience - look at these verses -
If we want our grandchildren to experience the blessings God has for them, they need to be people who obey. This is true for us as well. And, we all need to remember, obedience is how we show we love God and respect those whom He has put over us; so pray for your grandchildren to be people who show the wisdom of obedience and encourage them to be wise people who obey.
- John 14:15 - If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
- Isaiah 1:19 - If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land
- Joshua 1:8 - This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.
- John 14:21 - Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.
- Titus 3:1 - Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work
- Ephesians 6:1-3 - Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
#grandmas #handingdownthefaith #itmatterswhatwedo #grandparentingonpurpose