Pointing our grandchildren to Jesus is not really difficult. We are able to do it with something as simple as reading to our grandchildren – and there is no shortage of wonderful books out there which you may use to help your grandchildren understand how very much God loves them. I do this with my grandchildren – and you are able to do it, too! While I have many wonderful books and resources which I’ve used over the years with my grandchildren to point them to Jesus, I thought I’d share a few of my favorites with you today.
4. The Threshold Series and all the "Angel stories" from my friend, Christa Kinde. These books will capture the imagination of your older grandchildren and leave them in awe of angels while it also gives them a glimpse of the jobs angels carry out on Earth.
5. Roscoe Riley Rules - a fun series of books which will leave you all laughing as you learn together.
6. Favorite Parables from the Bible: Stories Jesus Told - I LOVE these parables illustrated and told by Nick Butterworth and Mick Inkpen. I bought these books when my children were little and am so happy to see them combined into one book a few years ago - if you are able to find it, you will love it!
7, Sidney and Norman – a Tale of Two Pigs - I love this book - it is one every grandchild, and grandparent as well, needs to hear . . . often! I can not read it without crying over God's great grace.
9. The Ten Commands from God’s Own Hands - again, another older book, but absolutely worth your time in finding it. In this one book you will find ten Bible histories/adventures which illustrate each of the Ten Commandments in a way children – and grandparents – will understand and remember. I LOVE this book!
12. Friends with God Story Bible - my grandsons love this book! They are never happy with just one Bible account - we always end up reading two, and then, "Just one more!!!" The artwork in this book is beautiful and I love the recap at the end of each account.
13. I have one more book to share with you and it is also a book I wrote - Illustrate My Own Unknown Bible Hero - Jehoshaphat. This book has the Bible history of Jehoshaphat written, from a first-person account in a way which will capture the children's attention - but the illustrations are for you and your grandchildren to work on together. As you work through the Bible account of Jehoshaphat and decide on the illustrations, you will be able to talk about who Jehoshaphat was, the choices he had to make and how you and your grandchildren are able to choose to love, know and walk with God.
Well, I could go on and on listing books I love to read to and with my grandchildren; books which give me opportunities to talk with them about how much Jesus loves them . . . which is one of the most important things we will ever do to make a real difference in the lives of our grandchildren.
It is all about being grandmas who hand down the faith on purpose . . . we are not able to just sit back and expect our grandchildren to somehow "absorb" our faith my osmosis. We need to be grandmas who hand down the faith on purpose. We need to have a plan to hand down the faith and sharing books is one simple way we are able to do this.
What are some of your favorite books for handing down the faith to your grandchildren?
#grandmas #handingdownthefaith #itmatterswhatwedo #grandparentingonpurpose