I looked at the first step in doing this; being people of the Word who have God's words, "upon our heart". You will find what I had to say about this at the following link.
Today I want to look at the next step . . .
Deuteronomy 6 says -
We have to -
- Impress them upon our grandchildren - this means there is action involved. We are not able to just sit back and say we have already, "done our job". We have to be engaged!
And, God's Word is what we are instructed to, "impress" upon our grandchildren. If we want to impress God's words upon our grandchildren, we have to be actively focused on doing so. It won't happen just by happenstance. The world is very focused on impressing it's "values" - or lack thereof - upon our grandchildren. If we just sit back and, "hope for the best", we are likely to see our grandchildren wander away from the Lord.
The price is high for not handing down a heritage of faith; too high for me. So how are we able to "impress" God's Words on our grandchildren? Consider the following . . .
- Again, if we want our grandchildren to love God's Word and be "people of the Word", they have to see we are. Share with our grandchildren what we are learning from God's Word.
- Read God's Word with our grandchildren.
- Ask our grandchildren what they are learning from God's Word.
- Be focused on pointing your grandchildren to God's Word when they face challenges.
- And most importantly, be focused on living God's Word in your day-in-day-out life.