Deuteronomy is not talking about speaking just the occasional word to our grandchildren about going to church or praying, but a living of our lives in a way which reflects how important God's Word is, because we live it every day. Deuteronomy 6 says to -
- Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
This is all about connecting God and His Word with our everyday lives and we are able to do this in the following ways . . .
- Do what God's Word says - talk about it.
- Tell our grandchildren how God has worked in our lives in the past and how He continues to do so today.
- Tell our grandchildren what we are learning from God's Word.
- Ask our grandchildren what they are learning from God's Word.
- Look for ways to connect what we are doing with God and His Word - for example; when you are enjoying the outside, talk about God's creation. When you are enjoying a piece of fruit, talk about God's creation again and thank God for His blessings.
- Pay attention to what is happening in our grandchildren's lives - pray with them about school, friends and anything bothering them.