So, when they do not make a wise choice, what do I do? We talk about what happened and how even when they are tired or have had a long day, they still have to obey, love others and learn to make wise choices. I lean heavily towards showing them - and definitely giving them - grace. I do so for the following reasons . . .
- Because God gives me grace. Why would I not be a person who is generous with giving grace to others when God has been so generous to me with His grace? Especially my grandchildren?
- Because I want them to understand what grace is. I want them to experience grace from me - a small grace, so they are able to understand and experience grace from God - a very large grace!
- Because I love them. When they are sorry for what they did and ask me for grace, why would I refuse? I love them and will always be generous with grace for them.
- Because I want them to grow to be people who are generous in giving grace to others. When they have experienced it, first of all from God in a big way and then in a smaller way from their grandma, they will be more likely to show grace to others.
- Because I understand they are young and are just learning to make wise choices. I know there will be times when they do not make wise choices and want them to know they do not have to be defeated by those unwise choices.
#grandmas #handingdownthefaith #itmatterswhatwedo #grandparentingonpurpose