I found some excellent information about Platypus on the Answers in Genesis web site and will share some with you - you will find the rest at this link. When the first Platypus were discovered by Europeans in the late 18th Century, people did not know what to make of it. At first they thought it had to be a hoax. As they say on the Answers website; "Early studies labeled the platypus as primitive until discovery of the intricate design of electroreception, which enables the platypus to sense electrical currents from the muscle contractions of the animals it hunts. If the platypus evolved, we would expect to find transitional forms in the fossil record. Yet platypus fossils, which have been found as far as South America, vary little from their modern counterparts. The only difference is today’s platypus has degenerated from the early, more robust platypus. Recent evidence shows platypuses lived at the same time as dinosaurs, a finding which fits perfectly with the creation account."
I love how while the Platypus looks like a creature God must have "thrown together" with "left-over part" from other animals, each and every part of the Platypus has a purpose. For example,
- A Platypus has claws which are necessary for burrowing.
- A Platypus has webbed feet which are necessary for swimming.
- A Platypus has a flat tail which is necessary for it to dive deep to the bottom of the lakes and rivers where it lives to find food.
- A Platypus has a lot of fur - "Fine fur, made up of 900 hairs covering each square millimetre of skin has two layers—a woolly undercoat and shiny longer hair—that keep most of the platypus’s body dry when diving."
- A Platypus has folds of skin which cover their eyes and ears when they swim to keep water out.
- A Platypus has an unique bill with "highly developed electro-receptors" which are necessary for it to find food at the bottom of murky lakes - even under rocks.
#grandmas #handingdownthefaith #itmatterswhatwedo #grandparentingonpurpose