- Deuteronomy 6 shows us God's plan for evangelizing children . . . verse 2 tells us why God gave His word; "So that you, your children and their children after them may fear the your God." God wants parents and grandparents to teach the children they love who God is and how they may love, know, and walk with Him. This is God's first and best plan.
- Parents have the primary responsibility of directing children, so they grow up to make wise choices and live godly lives. Grandparents certainly support parents in this important role, but also have the role of helping children understand what it means to receive - and give - unconditional love. Grandparents have a very special role and position as the second most influential people in the life of a child. How a grandparent sees a child is often the way the child will see themselves. Deuteronomy 6 tells parents and grandparents to; "Be careful that you do not forget the " In far too many cases, parents and grandparents have not handed down confident faith and their children have forgotten God. When grandparents are engaged, equipped, and encouraged to hand down confident faith, so their grandchildren do not forget God, they are able to significantly impact the lives of their grandchildren.
- Deuteronomy says; "Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." This is talking about the day-in-day-out living of our lives and is the impact a parent has. In many cases a grandparent has a very similar influence if we are engaged, equipped, and encouraged to hand down confident faith to their grandchildren.
- There are 80 million grandparents in the USA - yes, 80 million!
- Grandparents represent one-third of the population with 1.7 million new grandparents added to the ranks every year.
- Grandparents lead 37% of all U.S. households in this country - that's 50 million households nationwide.
- Grandparents love being grandparents - 72% think being a grandparent is the single most important and satisfying thing in their life.
- 63% say they can do a better job caring for grandchildren than they did with their own.
- 43% became grandparents in their fifties, 37% in their forties, with the average age of first-time grandparents in this country at 48.
- Grandparents like to spend time with their grandchildren - 60% live close to their grandchildren.
- 70% see the kids at least once a week.
- 81% have their grandchildren for part or all of their summer vacation.
- 72% take care of their grandchildren on a regular basis.
- 86% bake cookies for their family.
What are you doing to hand down confident faith to your grandchildren? What do you need to be supported and encouraged to do this?
#grandmas #handingdownaconfidentfaith #itmatterswhatwedo #grandparentingonpurpose